AWARDS RULES AND CAMPAIGN REGULATIONS APPROVED
FOR 95TH OSCARS®
Additional Submission Key Dates Announced
The eligibility period for Academy Awards consideration will return to the full calendar year: a feature film must have a qualifying theatrical release date between January 1, 2022, and December 31, 2022. The Academy Screening Room will no longer be a method of qualification, as theaters have reopened; the six qualifying U.S. metropolitan areas continue to be Los Angeles County; the City of New York; the Bay Area; Chicago, Illinois; Miami, Florida; and Atlanta, Georgia, and apply to General Entry categories as well as the Documentary and Short Film categories.
The Board of Governors approved other rules changes for the 95th Awards including:
• In the Documentary categories, the two category names have been changed to:
o Documentary Feature Film
o Documentary Short Film
• In the Music (Original Song) category, no more than three songs from any one film may be submitted.
• In the Sound category, producers will be required to make their films available for viewing by Sound Branch members, particularly when the release date is after the preliminary voting cycle opens. Any special circumstances requests regarding eligible nominees must be received by the General Entry deadline of November 15, 2022. Additionally, clips for the nominating screening (bake-off) shall not exceed 10 minutes of running time per title.
Submission deadlines are as follows:
- Documentary Feature Film – Monday, October 3, 2022
- International Feature Film – Monday, October 3, 2022
- Animated Short Film – Friday, October 14, 2022
- Documentary Short Film – Friday, October 14, 2022
- Live Action Short Film – Friday, October 14, 2022
- Original Score – Tuesday, November 1, 2022
- Original Song – Tuesday, November 1, 2022
- Animated Feature Film – Tuesday, November 15, 2022
- General Entry categories – Tuesday, November 15, 2022
Campaign regulations, which specify how companies and individuals may market to Academy members films and achievements eligible for the 95th Academy Awards, were also updated. Access to the Academy Screening Room will continue to be made available for all eligible releases. Digital links to materials will be permitted under certain circumstances. Film synopses may no longer contain credits, as film companies will now have the option to include credits on the Academy Screening Room prior to Nominations.
For the complete 95th Academy Awards rules, visit oscars.org/rules.
ABOUT THE ACADEMY
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences is a global community of more than 10,000 of the most accomplished artists, filmmakers and executives working in film. In addition to celebrating and recognizing excellence in filmmaking through the Oscars, the Academy supports a wide range of initiatives to promote the art and science of the movies, including public programming, educational outreach and the Academy Museum of Motion Pictures.