The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences today announced its newly elected 2020–2021 Board of Governors. The governors will take office at the first regularly scheduled board meeting of the new term.
Elected to the Board for the first time:
- Debra Zane, Casting Directors Branch
- Ava DuVernay, Directors Branch
- Stephen Rivkin, Film Editors Branch
- Linda Flowers, Makeup Artists and Hairstylists Branch
- Lynette Howell Taylor, Producers Branch
- Rob Bredow, Visual Effects Branch
Incumbent governors reelected to the Board:
- Whoopi Goldberg, Actors Branch
- Mandy Walker, Cinematographers Branch
- Isis Mussenden, Costume Designers Branch
- Kate Amend, Documentary Branch
- David Linde, Executives Branch
- Christina Kounelias, Marketing and Public Relations Branch
- Charles Bernstein, Music Branch
- Wynn P. Thomas, Production Design Branch
- Teri E. Dorman, Sound Branch
- Larry Karaszewski, Writers Branch
Returning to the Board after a hiatus:
- Jon Bloom, Short Films and Feature Animation Branch
As a result of this election, the number of female Academy governors increases from 25 to 26, and people of color increases from 11 to 12, including the three Governors-at-Large.
The Academy’s 17 branches are each represented by three governors, who may serve up to three consecutive three-year terms. The Board of Governors sets the Academy’s strategic vision, preserves the organization’s financial health, and assures the fulfillment of its mission.
For a full list of the current 2019-2020 Academy governors, click here.
# # #
ABOUT THE ACADEMY The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences is a global community of more than 9,000 of the most accomplished artists, filmmakers and executives working in film. In addition to celebrating and recognizing excellence in filmmaking through the Oscars, the Academy supports a wide range of initiatives to promote the art and science of the movies, including public programming, educational outreach and the upcoming Academy Museum of Motion Pictures, which is under construction in Los Angeles.